Crescent School was founded in 1913 by John William (Jimmy) James, the Head of the Lower School at St. Andrew’s College. The school’s first address was 43 Rosedale Rd, where James established a school for 21 boys in grades 5 through 8, in his living room.
According to his pupils, Jimmy James was an unusual teacher for his generation. Rosedale parents may have been quite clear about what they wanted for their sons—a solid education in the basic academic subjects—but James created “... a far gentler place than the fierce caning world...”
By the time James died in 1930, the school had moved to 76 Collier St and had expanded to 36 boys. Crescent School was owned by Jimmy James, and he had been the only teacher.
James’ widow sold the school to Walter Williams, who became its second Headmaster. Like his predecessor, Williams was a man who had a talent for regimenting boys in a surprisingly relaxed manner.
CLICK HERE to continue...